Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Bobby Knight of the America East?!?

Thats how Jamar Wilson referred to Will Brown in Mark Singelais' column in today's Times Union. In actually a suprisingly good piece from the Times Union (fluff piece, no less), Singelais tries to break down the man behind the team. Bobby Knight? When I think of Bobby Knight, I think of great coach, yes, but a guy with wasted talent. Banished to Texas Tech now for the last straw, Knight had a well-documented history of bullying, tantrums and explosions on and off th court. That is personally what i think of when his name is mentioned. Unless we don't know what goes on in practice, I don't see the comparison. Wilson later went on to cover his ass, et...reiterate that he was trying to convey that Brown and Knight both are excellent motivators and use a direct approach. Nice save :-)
The item that I took exception to is the mandatory part in the article about AD McElroy and the near-season long contract negotiation between he and Brown:
"The basic premise is that Will wants to be there and we want Will," McElroy said. "Whenever we're finished playing, we're going to cross the T's and dot the I's."

Ok, but Im sure that Brown and the rest of us would like those little formalities taken care of a LONG time ago. I mean, come on....look at Johnny Damon.....if you don't get these "little" details taken care of, you might lose him. And, as I said before, there will be a lot of Division I schools looking for a coach soon, and a guy with 21 wins under his belt looks awful tasty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home