Thursday, March 16, 2006

Metroland's 2006 Readers' Picks -- Reactions

Have to take some time away from Albany hoop info....Im going to go nuts by Friday....so, I'll divert a little here.
Before I throw out last week's Metroland, I want to run down some of the choices from the annual "Readers' Picks" issue...which combined with the "Best of" Metroland are two of my favorite issues of any periodical that I read. Personally, I like the readers' version better, since we really get to see what the hell is going on with some of them.
They start out rather tame.....Best movie theater - Spectrum 8, no problem.....Best Museum - NYS Museum.....obviously. I was thinking this was going to be a year that I wouldnt really take exception to any of the selections. But then....things started going a bit skewed, for lack of a better word....

Best Solo Musician......Ernie Williams? We couldnt find anyone under the age of 95 to put on the list? He's an excellent artist, but if he's the best solo act in the Capital Region, we're in a sorry state.

Best Optical Store......I don't care who won, butwhy is this even a category? Do Metroland readers really care the best place to get their eyeglasses?

Best Place to Buy/Service a Computer.......Best Buy??? Are you friggin kidding me? If you like payng WAY too much for crappy service and a large selection of garbage product, well, Best Buy is your place. Personally, I like to go into Best Buy and ask questions, and listen to the drivel that comes out of their mouths. Ask a good enough question, and the salesman turns into the guy from Scanners....

Now we get into some of the good ones....

Best Bar......Lark Tavern. Hmm...I know that Lark Street is the main clientele for Metroland, but what the hell is so special about the Lark Tavern? Never did anything for me....I bet these elections are rigged.

Best Bartender/Best Server.......how does one win something like this? Of ALL the servers/bartenders in all of the Metroland distribution, why these people? Perhaps I'll figure it out someday.

Best Public Official.....Jerry Jennings. Ole' Mayor McCheese in a landslide, and as the paper itself commented, "you all were equating 'best' with long term in office". Couldnt have said it any better myself.....

Best American Food......RED ROBIN?!?! Ok, it tied for first with Justins, but a tie?? I like the place as much as the next guy, but "best"? First of all, chain restaurants should be barred from this poll, since there's no varying in their style. They are mediocrely consistent, never too good, never too bad. But any place that cooks its burgers on a conveyor belt should never be considered for such an award.

Best BBQ......Smokey Bones. Having worked in BBQ restaurants for years, I can tell you all, that the quality of the food at Smokey Bones just isnt there. They have an authentic feel, complete with a good menu and nice atmosphere.......FOR A CHAIN. The food comes out as bland as could be, with the quality of meat not up to par. For good baby back ribs, try Otis and Oliver's in Latham (gratuitous plug).

I really could go on and on, but it would get more redundant than this column already was. I cant get over the fascination that people have with chain restaurants....especially Metroland readers, who I assume to be eclectic anti-establishment. Guess I'm wrong again.

One of the funnier entries was the 3rd place finish for IHOP in Best "International" Food...aah, those funny Metroland readers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home